Saturday, February 25, 2017

Halfway done ~ Simply Woven for Kaydence!

I am so excited to share hand quilted progress on this toddler sized quilt I am making for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday !!!
Here is a view of the flimsy before I layered it into my Hinterberg hand quilting frame...
And here is a shot of my sweet Kaydence Ava Grace...
She will be 2 the end of May this year :)

I am quilting in a "Baptist Fan" pattern in the center and fluttering butterflies around the outer border :)
Above you can see how I made my template for marking the baptist fan pattern...

The butterflies have a traditional stencil I had in my stash I am using... I am quilting them in rose YLI while the baptist fans are getting quilted in 28/2 Aurifil white ... both are hand quilted though :)

Here is the right hand side...
And where I just finished marking on the left...
Once I have quilted a row or a section of a row I just spritz out the blue lines I am marking it all ... with water! :)
At times I am using hemostats also known as a needle puller when the seams are thick to save my fingers...

Here is a good overhead view of my progress at this moment...
Above you can see how I marked the baptist fan pattern fairly well... I am using 3 marking implements for this quilt...
The marker on the left is by Dritz called "Mark B Gone"... I get it at walmart for about $3.00 each in their notions section.

Next to that is a plain piece of chalk I use for the dark blue fabrics to keep my lines easily visible.

Then on the right is a fine pointed wash away marker by Clover... I am using it for the delicate butterflies.. it doesn't mark very dark but on the bright white fabric it shows up fairly well and spritzes away then easily once stitched 💗

Thanks for stopping by... you ALL are thimbly the best... I sure felt special after being off blogging for so long to hear from so many of you!!!

Linking this blog post to Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday HERE to share my progress on this project...

There are several projects that got abandoned that will be coming after this project is complete too... I need to finish that fun quilt for my daughter, work on a wholecloth, and sooo much more... all hand quilted!!!  I also got a special quilt top to figure out how to hand quilt!!!  So stick with me 🌷

If you like more up to the minute progress on this project follow me on Instagram at kathi.clower or on Facebook at Kathi B. Clower :)

Have a blessed weekend and make sure you take time to...

10 comments:

  1. what a cute quilt - love all those butterflies! I don't care to do an all over quilting design on quilts as I can't concentrate right to focus on the lines it seems - good luck with those Baptist Fans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baptist fan is one of my favorite traditional designs. Perfect choice with your vintage prints. Butterflies are adorable. I have a good list going of quilt projects also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your granddaughter will be delighted with her birthday gift! I love the butterflies fluttering around on the border!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun watching this one progress. Such a great pattern in pretty colors for a sweet little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you are hand quilting....it really is a dying art. Here is a little tip for you. Go to your local office supply and buy those reddish rubber finger covers for counting money...wear them like a thimble on your index finger...really helps for pulling and gripping the needle. Love them and I don't quilt without them.Your granddaughter is adorable and I am sure she will love her quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Baptist fan marking method is inspired! And the butterflies are just right for a toddler. Have fun slow stitching today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your butterflies add the perfect border for your cute granddaughter.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to figure out how those woven blocks were put together. That is such a cool look, and I love the sweet colors you used for Kaydence. Your baptist fan marking template is cool too. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved hearing/seeing how you are marking this quilt... thanks for sharing!
    It looks FAB!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I covet your thoughts. Have a blessed day!