Sunday, January 17, 2016

Getting over a hand quilting hump :)

Welcome Ya'll!  It is RAINING here on Florida's east coast as I write this post... we don't typically get much rain in the winter... so it is sooo soothing and refreshing to have a nice rain!!!

I know many who read this may be dealing with bone chilling cold... or if you are below the equator... summertime heat waves and fires... I pray for each of you and hope you will return that favor by leaving a comment today and praying for me as well!

When I shared with you on Wednesday I had just hit the halfway point in my Fall Wall Hanging... but it was slow moving because this block was coming up...
I am linking this post to Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday linky HERE.... hope you will come see what everyone is stitching today :)

So when I got to this block ... I still had no firm plan for the center... behind that cool embroidery is thick stabilizer that I couldn't remove as the stitching is so busy... I trimmed what I could before adding it to the quilt ;)  But I wondered how it would stitch up!

Well I worked through the smaller blocks until I reached this bigger block and took a deep breath and thought about it....
AFTER stitching around the pumpkin itself and the entire embroidery design it became clear I needed a good solid base for this floating pumpkin to hold it down...  Crosshatching worked perfectly!!!

To mark this block I used this pencil by CLOVER...
It says it is water soluble... but i had never used it to make sure.. I tested a small area before marking my whole block and it did wipe off quite easily once wet... so away I went!

Before I knew it the pumpkin block was all finished and it was time to decide on the color of the leaf border I had already decided on for the grey border on 2 sides of this block...
With the help of friends.. and real life experience... I decided on the black variegated to grey Valdani 12 wt thread...

I stopped for a pic at the halfway point to make sure it would show up properly when photoed... I LOVE this thread!
 And here is the block I completed yesterday :)
I got so excited I started working feverishly on the blocks surrounding this one but really wanted to view this block without the remaining white marks... so I thought I would show you HOW I DO IT!

First get a spray bottle you can fill with water.. plain tap water works fine.. and spritz your entire block while it is laying flat to absorb that water into the batting a bit..
I let this sit about 5 minutes or so then got a nubby rag and started wiping the marks away....
Once it dried... even though when wet I could see them ... the marks were all gone... I expect when I wash it with soap and water in the washer when finished all residual remains of this pencil I am using will be gone :)  Yipeee!!!!

Also this week I have participated in a BOM.. it is properly called #WDBOM2016!  You can find details on Wendy's blog HERE... Wehago Designs Block of the Month 2016 is what the hashtag is short for though :)
I sooo enjoyed making this BOM .. it was fun walking down memory lane from the quilts I have made to choose these fabrics.... these fabrics were leftovers from Kimber's Memory Quilt... the bright fun blue is vintage fabric and didn't make her quilt... but I had pulled and had hoped to use it there so I used it here instead :)  Yay!

I also found out there was a need for 12" finished 9 patch blocks for fire victims from brush fires in Australia... one lady name Shari is collecting these blocks and will make quilts from them ... I sent these 4...
I didn't crop this shot because I wanted to show off a bit of the vintage bunting Wendy made me and now hangs over my design wall... and you can see a fun disappearing 4 patch block I made up too!  (Next to my 9 patch in the bottom half of the pic!)

Well .. I want to make good slow stitching progress today... only 9 little blocks to stitch before the center is complete on this wall hanging!!!  Yay :)  Join us over at Kathy's.. follow the link above ! :)

Until my next post please remember to handle your life with care as...

9 comments:

  1. How pretty both of these projects are ; enjoy your stitching to a gentle rain today ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finished quilt block is lovely! Looks like you are having fun making those nine blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you quilted that pumpkin block. The cross-hatching and vines complement it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! Love your quilting on the pumpkin block. Have fun stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pumpkin block looks great - all the pencil marks should come out - only chalk pencil I ever had trouble with was yellow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both you projects are coming along nicely, love how you quilted the pumpkin block and border. Love those 9 patch blocks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the jack-o-lantern block as well as your 9 patch blocks. You are moving right along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice projects, especially your pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilting on your pumpkin block is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. Have a blessed day!