Sunday, November 1, 2015

Anita's Arrowhead ~ A pictorial tutorial :)

I first knew this block as a 10 minute block... and only after investigation because it was so much fun I figured it must have a name... did I find it did!!!

 ~ Anita's Arrowhead ~
I made this block from two 10" blocks of contrasting colors as per these directions I was given...
and this picture of what I may do with them...
Well my designing brain got in gear and I made 8 of these fun blocks and learned lots about how to best construct it.. I want to share some of those tips with you!

So first let's be clear.. unsure of when the idea of taking 2 larger squares.. sewing them together and cutting them back apart came to be.. but Anita Grossman Solomon I now know is the popular author of this block and has shown how to make it using 8 1/2" blocks.. to maximize your fat quarter lots! :)

Anita Solomon has a Craftsy class HERE on making Traditional Block simpler... and has a blog called Make it Simpler where she talks about this block idea... and in 2010 she published this pattern for a throw sized quilt in Quiltmaker magazine...

Guess what??!!!  The PDF is currently FREE here >>>> ANITA's ARROWHEAD FREE PDF

So download the PDF.. or follow along here... I am using 10" blocks in this pictorial documentary... I plan to try two 6" blocks for a label for this quilt though ;)

First start with your blocks...

  • Anita recommends cutting them right sides together as a matched pair and I encourage that if possible... 
  • Use best press or even spray starch to stabilize your fabrics for this block making.. I went heavy after the first one I made and they flew together much easier!
  • Do not use steam when pressing this block.. lots of bias is created once the block is cut :)


Sew around the edges 1/4" leaving no opening...
I did not use matched pairing with my cuts so my squares were a tad wonky after being sewn you can see in the pic above...

Now slice diagonally once...
Take one of those newly created triangles and cut in equal incraments from the sewn edge...
Above you can see my cuts... from the raw edge of the sewn edged I measured in 3" for my cuts...

Do this to BOTH triangles measuring from the sewn edge raw edge...

Now unsew one side of the corner block with 2 sewn edges.. leaving only 1 edge securely sewn.. the first couple I unsewed I had to restitch as well.. that is okay if you do... better to have a secure finish that a flimsy falling apart at the center though! :)


Now it is time to see this block lay out by ironing open all the pieces... BUT you used Best Press or Starch so you will want to press your seams right the first time! :)

Above, is how it will lay out once ironed... so start with ironing everything to the dark but the pieces that will go in the upper right and lower left position... they get ironed to the light instead...

Here is the back of it as it is coming together into a block...


Here is that same step from the front now... all that is left is to make the last 2 seams...
Carefully nest the seams you ironed when putting this block together and all your points will be present and accounted for!  Easy really :)


Above is another block at the same stage as the purple one was...

And here it is now all together and ready to be trimmed after a good press...
And as seen at the top of this post... here is the finished block trimmed to the closest smaller common measurement for all sides.. in my case 11 1/2"
And ta-da... took me about 20 minutes per block until I learned these tricks.. but it went so fun it made you wanna do another!!!!

Hope you enjoyed this pictorial documentary on this really fun block!

Now here are several together ... as I am designing a baby quilt for my granddaughter :)

Until my next post ~


2 comments:

  1. I have not seen that before where you sew the two blocks together, haven't done it like that - glad it is helping you though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved the Anita's Arrowhead PDF file several years ago with the intention of making a quilt from that block. Your blocks look fabulous.,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I covet your thoughts. Have a blessed day!