Sunday, October 18, 2015

A weekend of accomplishments :)

Since my last post I have been busy personally and quiltily! lol
First I want to wish you each a GREAT DAY!!!  I found this on a friend's facebook feed and knew you might want to see it too!  :)  Her nickname is Sunshine!  and you know I love the sunshine anyway ... LOL!

Quiltily...


On Kimber's Memory Quilt I am about to finish this blue tshirt block...
I am really jazzed about my progress on this in the midst of other things going on.. but for some reason since I added the piecing of the blocks to my plate of activities I seem to pick up my needle and thread more often when taking a break from that or house chores!  S o it is flying by :)  Yippee!

Here are the blocks I have started piecing on my Gloria .. my 301A sewing machine.. called Anita's Arrowhead...
You start simply enough with 2 contrasting 10" blocks... then you sew them together around the edges.. and cut them up... forgot to get a pic of the cutting part! lol

then press them open.. I press all to the dark..
then sew them in sections together... here is my first chaining run of stitching..
then sew those last 2 seams..nesting intersections as you go...
trim down.. my two 10" blocks gives me one 11 1/2" block to put in a project.. so 11" finished it will be :)

And here is a drawing of the quilt to be I am calling Take 2
This is more for my memory than for you all.. but it shows how I design a quilt.. as I rarely ever can follow a pattern for making a quilt to the letter! lol

The center block will be hand embroidered in some fun loud colored thread to yet be decided... her name, birth date and time, height and weight... her mom Keashia, may write this information so I can copy her handwriting as my font style for embroidering this info :)  I am very excited and just hope she can decide how to write it and send it to me ! lol

But I only have 2 or 3 of the blocks made.. so I better get to making more.. they are all cut out and ready to sew together!!!

My review on making this block is that directions could be a bit more clear that I found before knowing the name of the block.. a friend shared the recipe with me and it wasn't all great even though this is a good beginner block.. not so with the instructions I used! lol  I love making the block and the finish.. but Best Press is definitely necessary!!!

In other news...

I got an underhand thimble from my friend Kathy!!!!  She found it at a quilt shop while visiting Michigan and at my behest mailed it while on her vacation!!!  lol  I am so blessed to have such a special friend!!!!

So cool this lightweight and thin plastic thimble is... this is a large and initially I thought it too loose... but it fits perfect actually... and the material is still thin enough that I can vaguely feel the needle :)

 Just call me happy!!!

Also happy that my daughter...

who has been sick all week with fevers, abd pains, and worsening headaches... has a diagnosis after a trip to the doctor and finally to the emergency room they figured out she had a urinary tract infection!!!  And was it bad!!!! So antibiotics we got and exhausted we were.. but we got it figured out is the important part... it wasn't anything crazy... just a UTI!  Praise God for the little things for sure :)

Please keep happy thoughts headed her way as she recovers over the weekend :)

As for me... I am glad it is Sunday and time for some Slow Stitching so I am linking up with Kathy HERE!  You can check out the mini quilt she won in a raffle too!!!

So what are you working on this weekend??  I would love to hear about your accomplishments too!
Until my next update...


P > S>  New fabric is sitting in an unopened box just outside my sewing room... no movement is allowed to open this box of amazing and cool new fabrics for upcoming projects... until I finish Take 2 to a flimsy state... Border fabric has been ordered but all else was stash!  Yippee :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh your poor daughter...hope she recovers asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a few of those Anita's Arrowhead blocks before. the way the go together is quite slick. UTI's can be nasty. I hope your daughter is feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that must have been one tough UTI ... glad she got a diagnosis and will be praying that the antibiotics work - soon! I love the secondary design that the Anita's Arrowheads blocks create. I can't wait to see your flimsie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad your daughter got the meds needed. That under thimble sounds great and I will do a search for it and see if I can get it to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love finding new tools....I haven't seen that thimble before!
    Hope your daughter gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad they figured it out and hope the antibiotics work quickly. Neat block and love the design. That is quite the willpower... to not open that box. I'll bet you make that quilt top very quickly! Just weeding, errands, visiting with FIL and thinking about burgers and dogs on the grill with pasta salad and coleslaw. I should till the last of the garden... maybe after dinner. Then... more hand stitching. Think I'll finish the green trip block while water boils for pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to find that thimble. It looks perfect. So sorry your daughter has been sick. Sometimes UTIs can really be miserable. This weekend I went to see a Broadway show with Hubby, dinner out first. Sunday saw me doing shopping and chores for mom. Not much stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy your DD is better and they found what was wrong. I love that block. You will have to show me how to make it when I come by next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I covet your thoughts. Have a blessed day!