Sunday, February 22, 2015

Still Slow Stitching!

It has been a slow ... slow stitching week around here! lol

I have been a bit under the weather with an upper respiratory issue... the cold medicine that helps leaves me a bit foggy headed and it is hard to stitch for long! lol

So earlier this week I was here for a posing shot of her quilt in progress ...
 I was working on the second row of cross hatching.  Here are the tools I use with my 16" hoop...
Cotton thread (this is YLI 40/3 in white), little scissors.. these were my first pair!, and some hemostats to help pull the needle through occasionally (when I put too many stitches on the needle! ha)... and speaking of needles I am using John James 8 Quilting with the YLI and Dritz Quilting Betweens because they are very stiff with large eye is a multitude of sizes in 1 container for the Perle cotton stitching. 

What tools do you like when hand quilting??

Well I finished the cross hatch and moved on to the middle green border on this little baby quilt...
 It is heart and swirl pattern in Perle 12 cotton in white :)

And here is a texture shot so you ca see the design a bit easier on camera with the morning sunlight coming in on it :)

 And after just moving the hoop I approach the halfway point of this border!  Yippee :)
I am linking this hand quilty post to Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday HERE :)  Where Life is Beautiful today !

Hope however you spend today you are able to get a few quilty stitches in.. happily I feel more like stitching today..

I will start back on a piecing project next week... if you remember my Hollyhock Gardens quilt ;)

I also have chosen my "charity project" for the year... Last year I made a quilt for a friend with a new diagnosis of cancer.  She loves the quilt!  So stay tuned as more of my next quilt I will make for all my cost with no expectation of payment... just a gift for someone in need !  I am excited about this!!!

Do you try to touch lives of those around you with your crafty gifts?  I would love to hear your stories!!!

Linking this post to Karen at Sew Many Ways LInky Party HERE as well :)
Hope you have all Blessed Stitches today :)

11 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your hand quilting and the tools you are using.
    Hope you are feeling better every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty quilt and stitching. I too use little scissors and Dritz betweens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your beautiful stitches. Hand-quilting is a peaceful activity that does not require much attention, I find. One tool I always use is a thimble. Is it possible that you don't use one? I couln't imagine... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you get to feeling better soon. When hand quilting I use my paddle thimble, a little pair of scissors, a needle threader and a little circle of rubber to help pull the needles through when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I had a bout with something last week and lost a whole day of stitching. You are making good progress on your sttiching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the warm weather today is helping you feel better. Beautiful stitching... I really need to get back to my hand quilting as I think my finger has healed.... I push with my middle finger on my right hand (no thimble as none feel right) and I had a needle punch through one too many times. I use tweezers to pull occasionally. I'm still experimenting with needles but find I like little ones with the black on them. Really need to find the package so I can get more but have the dritz ones out now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stitching. I like to make and donate quilts that go to children or veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilting is so pretty. Do you mark as you go? I don't see any markings for the border. Such a cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun quilt for hand quilting! I make charity quilts for adult chemo patients with one of the guilds I belong to. I also make them for family members who are experiencing a rough time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that you're not feeling so bad that you cannot manage to get in some quilting. Your quilt is coming along so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you are a little under the weather but hope that stitching helps carry you through (it certainly can't hurt)! I also like the stiffness of the Dritz needles when hand quilting. I've only used them when doing regular cotton thread quilting so am glad to know they will work with the Perle when I get around to trying Big Stitch.

    Looking at your quilt would cure what ails me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I covet your thoughts. Have a blessed day!