Sunday, August 24, 2014

I love Slow Sunday Stitching :)

How about you?  Do you like to sew something imaginative... or meet a goal on Sundays or do you refrain from all work on Sundays?  Recently this question was asked on a couple quilting boards I am a part of on facebook and I wondered if any of you guys believe Sunday should be a day of rest only.

Personally I can't imagine hand quilting NOT being relaxing and meditative.. I find it totally relaxing yet focused... but it is my favorite part of the quilting process and I am finally BACK!!!!  So I had to rearrange my space a bit...

 Above you will see my design wall in the background holding up the 2 completed hexi star flowers... these will be pot holders to adorn my kitchen... and to use! lol  Not the table topper they were meant to be... and that is okay with me :)

Just in front of those hexis I have a stool... that is where the quilt sits as I do not use a hoop but quilt heavily pinned only using a table/stool/ironing board.. to support the quilt.  As I quilt an area I remove the pins... one at a time.  I have to watch my tension very closely and check it often but I enjoy quilting this way..


As a child doing handwork came naturally for me and no one told me hoops should be used when they watched me stitch... now as I quilt... I find many want to share what I should do differently to get a different type of stitch.. well here are my stitches! ....

And I do have a hoop if I have a quilty friend come visit they are welcome to use it... and I may use it myself one day... but not for this project :)

So I am one happy girl today as I slow stitch the heat away in my mind... the feels like temperature here has been in the 100's all week long !!!  I know... I live in Florida ... what do I expect... well a breeze would help! ha :)

Hope you have a blessed Sunday however you spend it.

Don't forget to Link Up next weekend right here!!!  Follow me so I can remind you with my post on Friday :)  Check out the Linky Party logo on the right side of my blog for more info... or check my post from yesterday for details too!


Linking this happy Slow Sunday Stitching post to Kathy's HERE!

7 comments:

  1. Sundays for me is some work in the garden and slow stitching! They both remind me of the beauty that God created. Both things give me time to reflect on the week and to sort thru things that sometimes get under my skin. Soon I realize they are trivial and it is much better to reflect on the beauty around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay to change our minds on our projects. I love a quilted pot holder. More time for quilting the Loyalty and other projects. Your are not alone on quilting without a hoop. Stitching is a hobby in which the process is to be enjoyed. Unsure if I could survive a Florida summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stitching on Sunday is relaxing to me. Most people watch TV on Sunday or do other hobbies they enjoy. I like you find it relaxing to hand quilt so I say, why not, we all rest in many ways/ A day of rest is different for us all so sew on Sunday, watch TV or take a nap. Just relax. So happy you finally get to quilt my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I work 10 hour days I only get to catch up and do the things I love )garden, sew, genealogy) on Sundays so no rest for me on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your setup. I like Sundays to be quiet days (except during football season!). I think that is a carryover from my working days when I needed to get mentally geared up for another week. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't definite quilting as work, so I love to quilt on Sundays ... and any other day as well. I use a hoop, but one of the things I love about quilting is that there are so many ways to accomplish the same result ... your way is no better than my way ... we're free to choose whatever ways work for us. ;-) Just so you don't feel alone (ha!), it's been HOT here ... up to 100 the last couple of days with heat indices of 111 or higher. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't always spend Sunday as an entire day of rest, but I try to observe this as a ritual in my life. Some times I do have to work, but I avoid it if at all possible. I have lots of stitching to do :)
    So interesting that you don't use a hoop. I always have. I should do a blog post about that... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. Have a blessed day!