Sunday, June 1, 2014

Double timing it :)

Happy Slow Sunday Stitching to you my bloggy friends... if you follow me you know I look forward to this post all week... what can I get accomplished before it is time to post at Kathy's Quilts! lol

Since last weekend when I bound THE MAN quilt... now I am back to doing the finishing necessary kind of stitching (some in the ditch stitching to make all my swirlies pop! lol)
then do the chain of the outer border then the label and then wash and gift!  Yahoo... my list of things to do before completion is getting MUCH smaller!

Meanwhile this week we have been doing lots of reorganization, cleaning, straightening, and selling on eBay... which means lots of shipping has been done too!  I am very happy overall in how the house and the yard are looking this year... my honey really does a bang up job with all of it.

We currently have a cute little Centennial Edition of a Singer Featherweight 221-1 from October 31, 1951 that my honey is getting ready to list... it is fun seeing all he does for his photo shoots :)


So the big thing going on this week is a new project is now in the wings.. a good friend of mine who is in her 30's with 3 small children and a wonderful husband living a wonderful life just found out she has cancer... so I offered to make her a quilt for this journey ahead of her... so I am double timing THE MAN quilt finish now to get ready to piece and quilt that one!!!!

I will call this quilt Project RJq for Rebekah's Journey quilt.  I spoke with her husband and he shared that she loves pink and chocolate together and loves chevrons.. I took to the internet for my fabric selections and what did I find on sale but some Bali Pops (like a jelly roll) in a collection called Sherbet!  Check out the online pic...

I also found this "Think Pink" breast cancer awareness cutesy fabric I will use a bit in the quilt and the rest on the borders.

I have some peachy pink thread from an Aurifil haul I recently acquired in 28/2... my fave weight of Aurifil for hand quilting.

With the chevron idea in mind and a jelly roll already on the way ... I needed a pattern.  My friend Wendy came to the rescue again with this cool blog tutorial on using strips to make a chevron quilt!

PERFECT!  And I can understand it (a bad problem I have is difficult understanding quilt patterns) and it has pics for reference too!  So no HST's on this quilt at this point anyway :)

In the mean time look forward to working on my "Oh my Stars" wall hanging... and there is that long last QAL for the spool blocks I made last month.

So as I close... I am currently on the 5th double sewn strip with 4 left to go... here's to making some progress as I double time the slow stitching!!!

Please keep my friend Rebekah and her sweet family in your prayers...

And that my hands can create a quilt that truly can see her through this journey she is now on!

Linking this better late than never post to Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching as I am doing everything by hand today :)


7 comments:

  1. always so sad to hear when a young person has cancer and 3 small children too - makes it double hard in that you have to be caring for the children at the same time - although that might make her stronger in the long run if you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like you have made a lot of progress this week on your quilt. Enjoy the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful featherweight! I had a white one that I gave to my daughter, wish I had one again. They are so pricey though Sorry to hear about your friend. What a nice thing for you to do for her, I am sure it will be appreicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very nice FW shining nicely in the sunshine. Nice choice of fabrics for your friend. The pattern should go quickly which will give her comfort sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep her in my prayers. I am definately sloooooooooooooow stitching today. I keep getting interrupted with thoughts that cause me to put it down and check things on the net. Good for you in your progress on the man quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your friend. It looks like you've got a great quilt planned for her, and the man quilt is looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How generous of you to make a quilt for your friend... I think that is just what she needs at this difficult time. Your ideas are so cool... can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. Have a blessed day!