Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Slow and Steady Wins the Race :)

Happy Wednesday!

As I slow stitch... I think about so much stuff... upcoming projects... prayers for those around me and in my world virtually too!  So much going on in the world as well to think and pray on...

Here is my 16th block... when I finish this block I will be 2/3 done with the quilting on this beauty!

Currently I am about 1/4 done with this block :)  Slow and steady wins the race though! lol

As I slow stitch my honey is working on the cabinet to the 1928 White Rotary electric machine I shared with you on my last post.  He is refinishing the original and more recently varnished finishes from this beautiful red mahogany wood cabinet (we think that is the kind of wood it is! )
Here is my honey putting on CitriStrip...

The legs in the foreground are stripped now and the background legs are in stages of stripping...

gooey old stuff coming OFF!  Yay :)

A pic I found of what this cabinet should look like when we are done with it :)... sorta! lol
 So our goal was to strip and return it to it's original beauty ... like the stock photo I found above of this cabinet called a "Martha Washington" and it even has a brass plate I will show you later on the right side door that says "Martha Washington" on it!  Very cool piece...

Here is my honey's stripper he LOVES and I will attest no bad smell or bad fumes from the stuff like I have experienced when rehabbing furniture myself in the past...
It does not work as fast as chemical stripper but it does a great job as you can see in the pics... must be patient and do multiple applications to get the results we got... and then a good sanding is in order so we did purchase some sandpaper too... so far we have the varnish and stain... so we are out $12.00 for the stripper and about $5.00 for various grades of sandpaper!  SCORE!!!

Here is a cool brass oil can we found in the cabinet!  Isn't is cool :)  I love finding treasures like this oil can that even has a place to be in the cabinet... again pics of that later :)

Here is a pic my kids LET ME TAKE that is awesome I think... I love a good pic with good lighting... and love to show off my kids too... these are my 2 youngest... 19 and 15 :)

 This is a plan I have for a quilt along we are doing over at Patchwork Friends fb page here
We are a small group of quilty friends... you are welcome to request entry as it is a closed group... but I am the admin who allows entry :)  Send me a PM there with a request to enter and Whallah... come Quilt Along with us as we make our own variations on this pattern!
by Wendy Gilbert & Quilt in a day this little wall hanging will be my first time to try applique... but it starts with the spools... I am thinking how Edyta Sitar did hers above in a now out of print recipe is the best inspiration for my spools...

So that is what is going on in my slow and steady week... what is going on in yours???  Would love to hear from you!

Thinking of doing a giveaway soon... any ideas on a fun gift to GET???  Or share your fave winning from a blog or other online hosted giveaway!  I have a great book I got for card making I am thinking of offering  HUGE resource book any papercrafter would love to have on their shelf... or a half yard of Halloweeny fabric... but is it too early for some Halloweeny fabric??? lol  Great LQS fabric I got in Murfreesboro TN and didn't use!

So if you haven't figured it out I want to hear from YOU my lovely readers... tell me what you want.. what you are up to.. and what you love about my blog the most!  I blog for me .. but I blog to entertain you too!  And inspire you I hope :)

Much bloggy Love!

Linking to Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation :)

5 comments:

  1. Good progress on the Man Quilt. Yes, hand stitching is slow, yet it is relaxing. I've used the same citrus stripper on marine teak. I love it. Nice kids. I like your blog as it is as you show your quilts and their progress and maybe a photo of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with what you are doing with the cabinet. I need to redo my dining table and will look for that stuff you are using to strip. I would like to do it this summer. The oil can was a great bonus with the cabinet. Love your quilting pattern on that block. The picture of your children is a definite prize winner. Either of the prizes you mentioned sounds great. I didn't realize there was a quilt shop in Murfreesboro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I redo furniture now and then but haven't in some time now. I will have to remember the non-smelly stuff! cute kids - your girl sure looks younger than 15 she might hate that now but won't in years to come :) quilt looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that Martha Washington table. I will have to try that stripper when I redo my dinning table. Last time I stripped furniture all they had was that really caustic stuff. Waiting for it to work is another lesson in patience for me. Great picture of your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your block looks great and love that table!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. Have a blessed day!