Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My first feathers!

49 feathers I marked on this quilt top...
now that quilt top is "sandwiched" I am hand quilting those feathers.... usually on a quilt you start from the center and do ALL the quilting as you work your way around and to the edges in a circular pattern of sorts...

Well this quilt is different... each of the blocks will be heavily quilted and decoratively quilted so I want them to be stable... so the sashings all get done first... 49 inner sashings means 49 beautiful feathers to hand quilt!  What joy I will have... 2 down so far :)

For small print...

This quilt top was machine pieced all on Fiona
on December 3, 2013... and finished on December 7.
I sandwiched (with my honey's help)
and started the hand quilting on December 23, 2013.

Most of that gap was waiting on these amazing stencils from a stencil company I hadn't used before...here Quilting Creations International...  if you are interested in stencils their customer service rocks and their catalog is an inch thick but don't try to order it online... there was a glitch for me... thus why I know their customer service rocks.. they took my order right over the phone!!!



shipping was slow but product was shipped well and was top quality :)

On the other side of that coin... shame on me for not deciding til the last minute what company to go with and what I really wanted to spend 4 months looking at! lol  A big thanks to my bestie Connie for helping it all happen... the stencils were part of my Christmas present!  Something I wanted and could use she said! lol

I used Pellon cotton batting from JoAnn's with lots of coupons making it super affordable and it is a breeze to hand stitch through :)

I am using Aurifil 28/2 thread for all the stitching in a steel gray color!  It is pricey but nice for hand piecing and quilting and my honey loves the color of it.. I like how soft it is too... and not too linty.

If you have any other questions ... please ask!  I love comments and love helping others understand how to do something they don't ... or how to choose an online company to deal with.  You get the idea :)

Our friend Liz with Brandi and the gingerbread train they made :)
Hope you have a blessed Christmas Eve!



3 comments:

  1. Love how pretty Fiona is! What a lovely base too.
    Enjoy your hand quilting! I've never heard of quilting the sashing first and look forward to hearing how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have never heard of quilting the sashing first and then filling in. I confess I've always just started in the middle and worked my way around. So it will be interesting to see how the sashing first method works for you.

    I didn't know Aurifil made a hand quilting thread ... the things I continue to learn, even after quilting for 30+ years! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing a little hand quilting myself. Do you prefer to double the threads, or do you use the thread as a single strand? I kind of like the bolder look of doubled thread and have even seen some using a heavier cotton to make big bold stitches!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I covet your thoughts. Have a blessed day!