Sunday, June 2, 2013

Quilt Along Starts TODAY!

Wanna learn to quilt or finish a quilt or start a new quilt???


This month I am hosting a quilt along... to play all you have to do it try to quilt something!

This could be a wall hanging, bag, or a quilt!  You choose... just come over to facebook on Patchwork Friends here to join our closed group for non sharing pics we can share just with each other!

So for me... I am planning this quilt as my 7th quilted item...
A Lone Star quilt.. with Eleanor Burns to show me the way to make this quilt for my first time :)
I plan to make it with this layout and the size will be about 90 long by 102 wide.
The receiver of this quilt is picking out their inspiration fabric but expect to get it and the rest of the fabric in the next 2 weeks so I can share it with you!!!!

I will be doing this in teals and tans with beige background... think beachy colors :)  This will be my bff Brandy's quilt for her and her hubby's bed... they are picking out the fabric together!  Love that!
 So I needed a project to be available to each of you playing along to help you and still be quilting in between so I am quilting this quilt...
For my bff Pam.  She chose the design first... then found inspirational fabric... then we pulled in more fat quarters and the background fabric!  Fabulous :)

So I am quilting all the pinwheels by hand as this will stabilize all the backing.  I pin basted this quilt like this...
I started quilting in the center and worked my way out... now I am on this block... can you find it on the quilt top ?
I send the receiver pics from time to time so she knows I am steadily working on it... read more on previous posts about "pams quilt" for more info on the process of quilting or even a tutorial on how to put this square together :)

My passion is handquilting... I use short large eyed needles and heavy 40 wt or larger threads typically when I handquilt.  I don't use a hoop as I find they change my natural stitching and make it unpleasant to look at... I much prefer straightening the pinned fabric and hand stitching although I have done a machine stitched quilt and can help you if you are planning to machine quilt your project.

So now it is your turn.  Are you in??? Come on over to Patchwork Friends or reply here and tell me what your design is and what your colors are gonna be!  Leave a link to a blog post if you prefer not to write twice... that is what I am doing.. this blog post will be linked on Patchwork Friends ...

What is your passion in the crafty realm?  Doesn't have to be a quilty response... what do you enjoy crafty the most??? 


So now it is your turn.  Are you in??? Come on over to Patchwork Friends or reply right here and tell me what your design is and what your colors are gonna be!  Leave a link to a blog post if you prefer not to write twice... that is what I am doing.. this blog post will be linked on Patchwork Friends ...

Happy crafting whatever you are doing this month!

Kathi





4 comments:

  1. Hi, Kathi! This week I am working on a quilt called "Sunset On Water" from McCall's Quilting March/April 2013 issue. It will be going to the family of a young man who went missing on Mobile Bay about three weeks ago. I cut it out yesterday and hope to get it pieced by Tuesday....

    PS Good luck on your quilt for June - it looks amazing! And way more complicated than I can manage..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah... thanks for joining over at Patchwork Friends... I can't wait to see this quilt get whipped out by you in a week! Amazing... please share your progress on facebook! Kathi

      Delete
  2. I am just in awe over this! I wish you lived closer to me so I could learn how to do this. I just love your designs and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous. Sadly, I know nothing about quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I covet your thoughts. Have a blessed day!