Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Monkey Brain Casserole! Yummmm

//h1Today I want to share what we had for dinner.  It is a mexican casserole that is delicious.  My oldest son cooks it and when he does we all eat it up.  My daughter named it!


What you need.... to make this yummmy casserole is:

9 x 13 casserole dish
2 pounds ground meat
2 packets taco seasoning mix for ground meat
1 packet of spanish rice
1 bag of tortilla chips... any variety
1 pack of large flour tortillas
3 cups of shredded mexican cheese
1 cup of smart spread or other butter product
spices/sauces for flavor

I put the ground beef on to cook and chopped it up to tiny pieces... then while that cooked I started the spanish rice
it called for oil that I did not use to save calories for the butter you will add at a later time... I just used the appropriate water it called for...
Once the meat was cooked completely I drained the grease and added a little more than the called for on the water and the taco seasoning packets.  Then your stove top should look like mine :).

While they are cooking now melt your cup of butter type product... we use smart balance to save cholesterol and calories.  Melt it in a large bowl ...

so it is easy to dip the flour tortillas in it.  Then dip both sides of the flour tortillas in the butter product...




Place the flour tortillas on the bottom on the casserole... 2 of them.  Save the other 2 for now.
Mix the finished spanish rice in with the mexican meat... cook it on medium high together about 5 minutes or so and add crushed tortilla chips... about a cup ... to the meat and rice mixture.  Add about a cup of crushed tortilla chips to the flour tortilla base you have in the casserole dish...then sprinkle with about a cup of shredded cheese making a thin layer.  Now add about 1/3 of the meat mixture on top of that. 

Add the next layer starting with the buttered flour tortillas (2) then crunched up tortilla chips, then cheese, then meat/rice remaining... finish with a cup of cheese on top and a few crushed tortilla chips. 

Bake about 10 minutes at 350 degrees to melt it all together and call dinner ready!  Yummy!!!

If you are wondering why I am blogging about cooking recently it is only because I don't like it and I am trying to embrace it... if you have any ideas to help me or recipes with lots of pics let me know ... my crew is picky and my skills in this area are few... now back to crafting... or trying to anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. Have a blessed day!